Stronger Than Ever, We Stand Together
CTA Issues Conference – to understand and embrace the challenges facing educators today in our local communities and statewide.
Several of our members attended the conference this year. The following are brief highlights from the sessions that they attended.
- General Debt- Student loan forgiveness, debt information. The focus was not only on old and current programs, but newer programs that currently rolling out.
- Reducing the Risk: Teen Suicide- Tips on what to look for in a student when depressed and the importance of building a relationship with students.
- General Session – A reminder that as teachers, we are united. The importance of having a support system in and outside of work.
- Rural Chapters Dealing with the Loss of Fair Share- Suggestions on how to engage members, attend functions, community events, mixers. The session showcased the outcome of the Michigan Education Association when they lost agency fees.
- Ideas into Action: Advocating for the English Language Learners – Focused on the untapped potential, their cultural traditions that enrich our communities, and they are disproportionately undeserved. The session participants were given a handout outline the 5 Steps to Advocacy and were broken into collaborative groups with a hypothetical problem. The groups then used the 5 Steps to Advocacy to brainstorm solutions.
- Why School Site Councils Matter in the LCFF/LCAP Era – Many in attendance were amazed to find out their own School Site Councils were out of compliance.
These were a few highlights from over 50 sessions that were offered. If you are interested in attending a future conference, please see your Site ACE Rep or contact the ACE Office through our contacts tab.Issues-Conference-Elective-Sessions-.pdf (286 downloads)